Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Reflections on Thanksgiving

 

 

 

 

 

 


In my childhood, Thanksgiving was a quiet time to gather with family around one table or another.  I’ve celebrated the day at one time or another at each of my grandmother’s tables, many times at my mother’s, at my aunt and uncle’s, my mother-in-law’s home, and at my house.  I’ve cooked more turkeys than I can count and eaten many more.  I’ve had homemade dressing, boxed stuffing, and oyster dressing.  I’ve often made the famous green bean casserole that seems to have become a staple on many Thanksgiving Day menus.  I’ve baked pumpkin pies and an alternative dessert called pumpkin pie cake.  I’ve enjoyed mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, corn, homemade hot rolls, relish trays and other delights as part of the feast.  I know these days everyone isn’t as traditional as I am.  Many enjoy ham or pork roast or pizza or a dozen other entrees but I’m still fond of turkey as the centerpiece of the feast.

 


 

                I’ve watched as holidays have grown more commercial over the decades.  I can remember when Sunday was a quiet day when few stores were open and those who were had limits on what could be sold.  While I’ll admit I enjoy being able to head off to shop on Sunday as much as anyone else, there are times when I miss the old, slow pace of the Sabbath. 

                Although the supermarkets bustle right up until the night before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day has remained quiet.  Some stores are open for those last-minute forgotten items but they’re not crowded or haven’t been.  Sometimes our family ventures out for a drive after our feast and I always enjoy the empty streets, the homes ringed with cars as families gather, and the peace. 

                I don’t join in the Black Friday sales and don’t plan to participate this year.  Nor will I move up my Christmas shopping schedule to begin on Thanksgiving Day or evening.  To me, it’s just one more attack against tradition and another way to pull families in different directions rather than together.  I’ll be snug at home when the crowds hit the sales, enjoying a few leftovers and a lazy day.  I may do a little online shopping but I won’t brave the bargain hunting frenzy.

                And, although I’ve watched Christmas decorations go up around town, at some of my neighbors, and seen many photographs of already decorated Christmas trees on Facebook, my tree won’t be going up for a little while.  Growing up, we put up the tree around the middle of December and I still enjoy the traditional way.  If I put it up too early, it’s easy to get tired of the glitter long before the day so I prefer to wait, then enjoy Christmas with the proper anticipation.

                For now, though, my focus is on Thanksgiving.  Here’s a wish from me for a wonderful holiday filled with good food and good times, a pleasant interlude from the business of life, and the chance to list all the things you’re thankful for.  Happy thanksgiving!

 

Scenes from long ago Thanksgivings!

 



 

 

No comments:

A family story to share

  Earlier this week, on April 15, I noted a family milestone and it had nothing to do with taxes. Thomas Jefferson Lewis, my great-grea...