Monday, July 26, 2021

The season for school supplies

 

As a child, I delighted in getting the school supplies. Back in the day they were simple, some pencils, a set of watercolor paints, crayons, scissors, glue or paste, a package of manilla paper, a binder (mine were pressed cardboard with three rings) and paper. We didn’t get the list until the first day of school, which always was the day after Labor Day in September.

The lists of items that my kids needed for school were much longer and had many more items. Now that they’re grown and only Patrick is in a classroom (at Crowder College earning his Automotive Tech degree), there’s no need to rush out to buy bagsfuls of supplies. And, this year, with the pandemic and all, the Neosho School District will be purchasing all supplies for all students – a big help to parents.

It’s the season, though, when the supplies are cheap. I always stock up on a few pens, pencils, notebooks and the like for myself, all things I do use in writing.

This year – today actually – I bought supplies for my class at church. I’m teaching 7/8 grade students again as they prepare for Confirmation. We’ll be using the new version of the Baltimore Catechism this year – my choice but to help in the classroom I bought folders for each of the kids, pencils and pens and colored pencils, and a few other things. We’ll see how it goes but I plan to be organized better than ever.

The writing goes well – got royalties for my Evernight titles and my Clean Reads works. I signed a new contract – I also have two submissions now at EN, one at The Wild Rose Press. And in the works, many more.

Bottom line, though, is I need to make more money and soon.

Or get a job but trust me, I’ve been trying. Out of about 30 jobs applied for, I have one interview scheduled for next week. It seems that employers, no matter how short-handed and desperate, aren’t too interested in a woman who turns sixty this October.

Go figure.

Oh, well, I manage to stay busy, I’ve got new shiny school supplies, and although it’s too hot for my taste, life goes.

 

 

No comments:

A family story to share

  Earlier this week, on April 15, I noted a family milestone and it had nothing to do with taxes. Thomas Jefferson Lewis, my great-grea...